On Sat 18 February we’ll be inviting audiences back to our Studio theatre space to get a sneak peek of some of the exciting new ideas and work being worked on by our Cumbrian Creatives network, and to offer feedback that we hope will help further the development of these pieces.
Applications for Open Space will go live in early December, so keep an eye on our website and social media channels. If you are an artistic of any discipline living in, or with connections to Cumbria, you may want to consider joining our Cumbrian Creatives network – to find out more go to our Artist Network.
We’re delighted to announce the return of our annual scratch night, Open Space, designed to support the development of work by local artists and theatre makers. On Sat 18 February we’ll be inviting audiences back to our Studio theatre space to get a sneak peek of some of the exciting new ideas being explored by our Cumbrian Creatives network, and to offer feedback that we hope will help further the development of these pieces.
What are we looking for?
We’re inviting members of the Cumbrian Creatives network from all disciplines to apply for one of four micro commissions. We’ve included some guidance for applications below:
- We’re looking for scratch pieces of between 10-15 minutes, which can be performed live in our studio theatre.
- Work can be solo or collaborations between multiple artists. Please note that Theatre by the Lake cannot accept just a script without a plan for who would be performing, but we can help by posting callouts for collaborators in our next Cumbrian Creatives newsletter.
- We would love to hear about all kinds of untried and untested work, from spoken word to music, dance to new plays, comedy to performance art and much more.
- Pieces should be in the development stages – this is a scratch night so we’re expecting rough and ready!
- What will participating artists get?
Four pieces will be shown at the next TBTL Open Space scratch night on Sat 18 February 2023. The chosen artists, even if not performing, must be available on the night for a Q&A with the audience.
- Each chosen artist or collective will receive £500 towards their expenses.
- TBTL will be able to provide basic lighting states and sound equipment, along with a technician to operate, so please pitch your piece within your own capabilities.
How can you apply?
Proposals can be submitted either in writing (max. 400 words) or by recording a short video (2 minutes max) telling us about your idea, and how being part of Open Space would help you progress your work. Email your proposal to: email@example.com by 5pm on Mon 16 January 2023.
Please do not send attachments greater than 25MB. We’ll let you know if your proposal has been successful by Fri 20 January 2023. Whilst Open Space is open to everyone, the theatre will be prioritising the work of Cumbrian based artists in the Open Space programme and actively encourage proposals from Global Majority artists, LGBTQIA+ artists, and artists who are Deaf and/or disabled.
If you need further support in order to access this opportunity or the application process please contact Claire.
• Mon 16 January 2023 – Applications deadline for micro-commissions
• Fri 20 January 2023 – All applications will receive a response by this date
• Fri 3 February 2023 – Deadline for technical requests/copy/feedback questions to be sent to TBTL
• Sat 18 February 2023 – Open Space event. Four pieces performed, followed by Q&A with the artists. TBTL requests that artists are available for a tech rehearsal during the day, times TBC.